What is a Resume?
A resume is the first step to a job. Resumes get you interviews, which may in turn get you job offers.
- Is a personal advertisement of a candidate's best capabilities and experiences
- Captures an employer's attention and distinguishes a candidate from other jobseekers
What makes a good resume?
- Concise, brief and to the point
- Emphasises your skills and accomplishments
- Professionally presented: i.e. well typed out, neatly formatted with standard margins, no usage of fancy fonts, dramatic graphics or fancy coloured paper
- Accurately written with no spelling, grammatical, punctuation or typographical errors
How long should a resume be?
- As a rule of thumb, it should not exceed two pages of an A4-size paper
Can the same resume be used to apply for all the jobs?
- Tailor the resume to fit the job. Highlight the most relevant accomplishments, skills and experience for that specific position
What is the next step after completing the resume?
- Look for at least two other people to look over the final draft. Read it again the next day before sending it out with the cover letter
What is a cover letter?